Tennessee Mountain Writers announces the Excalibur Award for a first-time novelist of a full-length juvenile (for middle school level readers) or young adult novel manuscript of publishable quality. The winner will receive a $500 cash award and publication by Tellico books. Writers are asked to submit the first 40 pages and a complete one- to two-page synopsis of the novel; semi-finalists will then be asked to submit their entire novels. We are accepting submissions through December 1, 2014 (extension from the original date). Only writers who have not previously published or self-published a novel. TMW reserves the right to not award the prize and to seek new manuscripts in 2015 if the professional judges deem that none of the submitted manuscripts are of publishable quality.
· Submit via U.S. mail in a manila envelope the first 40 pages of an unpublished juvenile or young adult novel. Address your envelope to TMWI, P. O. Box 5435, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-5435.
· Your manuscript should be printed in Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins at the top, bottom, left, and right. Please number your pages in the upper right corner.
· Include two cover pages: one with the title of the manuscript only, the other with title of manuscript, name, address, telephone number, and email address.
· Include a one- to two-page complete synopsis of the novel.
· Simultaneous submissions are permitted; please let us know immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere. Refunds will not be issued.
· Be prepared to submit two printed copies of the entire novel upon notification should your novel be selected as a semi-finalist.
· A reading fee of $20 by check must accompany each submission. Checks should be made payable to TMW.
· Multiple submissions are accepted; each requires a $20 entry fee.
· Only first-time novelists who have never published or self-published a novel are eligible.
· All entries must be received or postmarked by June 1, 2014.
· Submissions limited to U.S. entries only.
· Failure to follow any of the guidelines will result in disqualification without refund.
Any questions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.