Joyce A. McDonald Writing Competition
First prize, each category: $100 + plaque
Second Prize: $50 + certificate
Third prize: $25 + certificate
Honorable Mention(s): certificate
Sue Ellen Hudson Excellence in Writing Award: $100 + trophy
(Insufficient response may result in cancellation of any category and refund for entries.)
3,000 words maximum. Short story or novel portion (any selected section, for adults or youths).
Please indicate “short story” or “novel excerpt” on the manuscript.
1,500 words maximum (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, etc.) written FOR children. NOTE: Novel
portions written for adolescents/young people should be entered in Fiction category.
2,000 words maximum (any genre; if poetry, one poem)
2,000 words maximum (essay, article, humorous, how-to, etc.)
1 set of up to 3 poems (any form, style). Each poem should not exceed forty lines.
1. Entries must not have been previously published, accepted for publication, nor have won any
award in a previous TMW contest.
2. Persons winning First Place in any TMW contest category are ineligible to enter that same
category the following year.
3. TMW workshop/specialty session leaders are ineligible to enter in the category they’ve taught.
4. Any individual piece may be entered in one contest category only.
5. Entries must be double spaced (poetry excepted), typed on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, one side only.
Good photocopies are acceptable. Manuscripts cannot be returned.
6. Author’s name must NOT appear on the manuscript.
7. Include a separate cover page for each entry with title of entry, category, author’s name,
address, email, and telephone number, and newspaper of choice to notify in case of winning
Limit of two (2) entries per category per person.
$15 per entry
Entries must be postmarked by April 1, 2021.
Mail entries with payment to:
TMW, P.O. Box 5435, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-5435
Submit contest entries by email to email@example.com and pay electronically via PayPal.
There are 5 categories. You may submit no more than 2 entries per category. Use the dropdown menu to select the number of entries you want. For example, if you wish to submit 2 entries for Poetry and 1 entry for Children’s Literature, select 3 from the dropdown menu.
ENTRIES NOT FOLLOWING ALL RULES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED; FEES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
Winners for each category will be announced and awards mailed by July 1, 2021.